Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Educational Dilemma

Okay. So I have a little dilemma and I just don't know what to do. I was going to finish up my associates degree at the end of this semester and then prepare for bbygrl to get here. The past few days something has really been nagging me and reminding me that I would only have 5 more semesters left to complete my bachelors. I guess I just wouldn't feel complete only getting my associates. What if something were to happen and a bachelors would be necessary for me to have? There is no way that I can finish on campus so I looked into the online degrees through BYU-Idaho. I was on full scholarship to attend on campus but now that our economy sucks they are doing away with most of their scholarships. So here I am, filling out an Online Degree application to complete my Bachelors degree. Can I really do this with a new baby? Are the extra expenses for school really going to be worth it? I'm not a quitter; so I know that if I start this I won't give up half way through. This also means that I will be in my schooling while Drew is in Law School. Oh man, I just don't know if I can handle the stress! So these are the things going through my mind as I decide if I really want to complete my education. Maybe some words of encouragement will set me on the right path.... so go ahead, flatter me.

2 comments:

Grace said...

Well, to be honest, there are other options out there. Once you get your associate's degree it is a lot easier to finish at another university and get a bachelor's. Also, financially, it may be wise to wait while Drew is in law school, but I don't know the situation with that so I may be totally wrong. But it's definitely something to consider. It might also be a good idea to give yourself some time to adjust to being a Mom. It's a lot harder to be a stay-at-home Mom than to go to school or work. I can't imagine trying to do both, but I know a lot of women who have done it. They must not need a lot of sleep, or something.

Here's a more concise version of my opinion, take it or leave it: Give yourself time to be with your baby, and then decide on school. Everything, I mean _everything_ changes with a baby. But when it comes down to it, if you include the Lord in your decision and follow His promptings, you can't go wrong.

Jim and Vanessa said...

Finish it! Yes it is hard. Yes it may be expensive. Yes it is stressful. Like you said, you want the degree. And though a new baby is a bunch of change and Drew in Law school... there honestly will be no easier time to finish than right now. The longer you wait, the more hectic and more kids will come, and by the time you decide to get around to it again you'll have to sacrifice even MORE family time than you would have had to do. Plus, if you start right away, you'll have 2 semesters done before Drew even starts law school, so he can help tons with baby!
It was so much harder to do school when Braden was walking around and playing then when he just layed there and cooed at me, I wish I'd known that back when he just cooed! There's my biased 2 cents, I won't have hurt feelings if you disagree =)!

Post a Comment